Monday, September 2, 2013

Where Is Walden?

Hi!  Welcome to my new blog!

Having been blogging for several years, and more recently blogging about my challenges in, The Pursuit of Happiness, I'm finding it refreshing starting a new blog for my primary passion, the simple life.

Now, the funny thing is that the work I've been doing for the last six years has immersed me in historical time periods close to 400 years ago.  And the comment "Oh, it was so simple back then!" would make me cringe.  SIMPLE?!?!  These poor people had so little in the way of conveniences it wasn't even funny.  Something that takes us five minutes would take them hours!  And they didn't have coffee to wake them up in the morning!  AHHHHHH!!!!

But, every once in a while, I would agree with this comment.  Those times when all was quiet and you just sat listening to the birds.  When you just stopped because you felt the wind change.  When you watched the rain rather than TV, because it wasn't even around.  When you feel the warm earth in between your fingers after a spring thaw, or a summer's rain on a hot day, or watch geese flying in for the evening on a crisp fall's eve, or catching snowflakes on a cold winter snap.  That is what I think those people meant.

And that's what I'm going in search for right here.  And you, dear readers, are invited to come along for the ride. 

I'm hoping to record all the ups and downs that comes with searching for, as I have come to phrase it, "My Walden".  Now it's been years since I've read Henry David Thoreau's book "Walden", I believe it was my junior year of high school.  So it's been many years then. But in thinking about what I wanted to achieve in this venture, and particularly the name of this blog, I came across this quote.

 “Every morning was a cheerful invitation to make my life of equal simplicity, and I may say innocence, with Nature herself.”

It was from Thoreau's famous work Walden.  And it seemed to just touch my heart.  It encompassed what I wanted to achieve.  To find my own concept of simplicity in my everyday life.

To find my own Walden.

No comments:

Post a Comment