Monday, January 20, 2014

The Perfect January Garden

I LOVE THIS TIME OF YEAR!

That's something that is not often said about this limbo time of winter.  I remember seeing a  cartoon the other day that went something like this.....




The magical chaos of the holiday season, and the coziness of a warm fire during a snow storm is dulled when you have to go out and shovel, again!

But, in the dull drums of another cold, windy, icy, grey day I know I can grow the perfect garden.

Doesn't make much sense does it.  Unless I take my private jet to Australia when I want to escape.  Which would be impossible of course, there is no way I would just go down there for one day.

But all jokes aside, this is the time of year where my perfect garden comes into bloom.  As the fruits of my labors create the best platform in which hundreds of plants grow in abundance.  In my perfect garden the rain fall is just the right amount at night, the sun shines warmly during the day, not harshly, and there are no diseases or pests to control.  And everything looks as pretty as a picture.  Well, many pictures.

By now every gardener is nodding their heads knowingly.  It's the most wonderful time of year for gardeners? 

It's SEED CATALOG time!

Right now I'm looking over several seed catalogs that have been sent to me by mail.  I'm perusing the glossy pages, becoming enchanted by all the pretty pictures, and circling more and more seed descriptions, having my small garden grow by the acre to accommodate them all.  All thoughts of the prep work in spring, the tiresome weeding in the summer, and the over abundance of harvest in the fall don't affect us gardeners right now.  It all fades away.  The questions of why we decided on so many plants we ask in summer don't even enter our minds when the January Garden is created.  The expressions "That sounds good!" and "I'd like to try that!" are stated often as each page brings more varieties of cucumbers than you thought imaginable.  Twelve pages on eggplants?  Sure!  I'll circle half of them, even though I don't even like eggplant!  That doesn't matter in my perfect garden.  They sound interesting and tasty.  Don't fast forward to summer where all my friends run away and hide when they see me coming with my boxes of eggplants and cucumbers. 

This year my Perfect January Garden is even bigger and better than previous years imagining, mainly because my husband and I are moving soon and a place to have a garden is certainly a necessity.  You know, with everything I've picked out for seeds, I'll need only a few acres to start with.  Hope my friends like eggplant.

So when the cold and dreary and windy and cold and wet and cold and dark and did I say cold days get to me, and if feels like winter will never end, I can go to my Perfect January Garden and become excited for the warm days to come. 

Minus the sweat, and digging, and weeding, and pest attacks, and frost, and lack or too much rain, or lack or too much sun, ect.......... that will come in spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment