Sunday, October 27, 2013

It's Been A While....

So you know it's been a while since you've downloaded pictures off your phone when you have pictures from 8 months ago.  Like I did when I was downloading photos from my phone so I could create my Halloween post for this week. (Halloween is this week!)  And then I found all of my photos that I took during the power outage we had during Winter Storm Nemo.  That's last February! 

So yeah, it's been a long time.

But I thought I'd share those photos here with you all, mainly because it was an interesting time and one where I had to put my good homesteading skills to work.

 
So this became the main room of the house, due to the fact that we have no wood stove or fireplace but we do have a gas oven. So that oven became our heat source for the four days the power was out.


That didn't stop my husband or my cats from spending time in the other cold rooms of the house.  Since the living room was open to the kitchen it remained a tad warmer than the rest of the house.  So my husband and cat Hagrid used blankets to keep warm.


My cat Merlin decided to use the sun, though our bedroom was really cold.  But that's where he always takes his afternoon nap.  Old habits I guess.


The saving grace of the situation was that our gas stove and oven were working.  So we were able to at least have a good hot meal, which is heaven during really cold weather.


Though our hot water heater wasn't working.  We do have well water that is gravity fed so our water was running which was good.  So cold water heated on the stove, put in a large bowl to wash dishes or hands, just like a pilgrim housewife.


Though plastic plates and silverware did help keep the amount of dishes to a minimum.


And though the cold would get to you it was lovely reading or playing games by candle light.  That's if the cold didn't make you so tired that you went and slept under four blankets for fourteen hours.

Though this little foray into life without electricity was exciting and did bring out my homesteading skills, there was nothing like that first hot shower after several bone-chilling days to make you feel alive and grateful for electricity.

No comments:

Post a Comment